Sunday, October 30, 2011

Old Toys . . .New Memories

Sometimes it happens. . . something happens and you go back in time.  Back to when things were easier and when there were NO real worries.  Oh, yeah, of course when there were no real worries, we worried about things like wanting to stay up late and wanting to eat candy whenever we desired.  We dreamed of the EASY days that were to come of being an adult, when WE could make the decisions and drive the cars.  However, now that we are WELL into the stage of adulthood, we understand how easy life was as a child.  Hind site is 20/20 and though I wouldn't trade the life I have, I do wish I had realized as a kid, how easy life was at that time. :)  Maybe I would have enjoyed it more and stressed less.

So, that said, sometimes there is a toy, an object, a place, a smell, or even a food that takes you back in time.  It takes you right back to when you were a kid and it is sweet to sit and remember those times.  This happened to me recently as I was packing up items from my parents house and bringing them to my house. I came across my favorite doll growing up, the well known, "My Kid Sister."  I loved that doll and carried her everywhere.  I loved to braid  her hair and I can still remember the commercial that was on all the time about her and her brother, the boy doll, "My Buddy."  So, as I was happily basking in my memories, I then came across the boy doll, "My Buddy." in Micah's stuff.  I couldn't believe it.  Here, he had the same doll.  Being sentimental like I am, I was sure I had found another DESTINED reason we were "meant to be."  :)


So a few weeks later, we  decided to give our kids our dolls.  Ava got My Kid Sister and Christian got My Buddy.  They were so happy to get these dolls as we told them how much fun we had with both of them as we were growing up. 


Yeah, they loved them.  I love Christian's face in the top picture as he was so excited. I also think it is so funny that the doll is almost his size.  Then, the other picture is them, pretending to get in the Ducky Bathtub of Jamie Blue Eyes that they are pretending is a boat.  This was Ava's attempt at photography. . . she says, "mom, I have a great idea. . get one of us in this boat like this.  Isn't that a good one?"  hahaha.  I loved her idea but not quite as much as she did.  They spent days playing with these two dolls because they were so excited to have toys that were once mommy and daddy's when we were little.   Then I got a really bright idea.  What about a Jamie Blue Eyes dress up party and making him into a "My Buddy" doll.  We had so much fun and he cooperated well.  Doesn't he look so thrilled?  hahahha, He truly is Our Buddy.  We love this little cutie.


No comments:

Post a Comment