Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mama's Little Gardener

Mama's little gardenerby Michelle Bumbaugh on Sunday, September 20, 2009 at 1:32pm


The other week, my favorite in-laws brought me flowers to plant in my garden. They were very sweet and did all the work along with me. Ava and Christian were having so much fun spending time "gardening" with their grandparents. After about an hour of watching us, Ava decided to dig her own hole and plant a flower for me. I was watching her while she worked. Here is what I saw. . .

1.) First she dug a hole, but since our soil is so hard and has so many rocks in it, she wasn't able to make the hole very deep at all.

2.) Next she took a plant, some sort of lilly, that had roots on the end of it. she placed it in the hole but it was too tall and kept falling over.

3.) She took clippers and cut off the roots and then threw away the roots and planted the green stem. It was still too tall so she broke more off of the bottom. When she finally got it short enough to stand up right in her small hole, then she smoothed the dirt around it and watered it.



Then she stood up and clapped her hands together to knock off the dirt. Looked at me and said, "there mama, now the flower will grow for you!" It has now died, but she told me it will come back next year. I hope that she forgets about it by then. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment