Sunday, February 26, 2012

Fun with Frogs

Christian did so well with learning about the catepillars that turned into butterflies and the unit we did on that subject, so I figured we would attempt another topic that way.  It seems he does better learning when I throw a few letters and numbers for review in with whatever topic we are focusing on.  He is really interested in tadpoles and frogs, so that is how I came to the idea of 'fun with frogs.'  I found out too, that is so happened that was what Ava was learning about in school too.  She even brought home a book on tadpoles and frogs and so part of our unit was for her to sit and read her book to Christian.



I did some research on the internet and found some fun crafty templates that he could use green finger paint on and then once they dried, he could cut out the shapes, glue them together to make a frog.  I looked up some fun froggy facts to read to him while he was concentrating on painting and though he was distracted, he seemed to be able to remember later some of the things I had read to him.  :)  Guess his retention was better than I had anticipated.  We also put together a small diagram showing the stages of a frog from egg to mommy frog.  Then we worked on sequencing stories, which is something we are to be working on anyway in general.  He got confused sometimes cause he is like me and jumps ahead of himself in the stories he tells.  ( I do the same thing)  He did however, seem to enjoy our craft ideas and showed them to his pappy and daddy with much pride.  We also read another book on tadpoles and he then "pretended" to read the book back to me, remembering many of the details on each page from what I had just read to him.  Another fun thing we did was pretending we were tadpoles and squirmed on the floor and then we were jumping frogs.  He got lots of energy out on that one. :) We also looked up some you tube videos on tadpoles and frogs.   Below is his pictures of his final finished projects.


In the blurry picture, he was practicing jumping like a frog. :)


1 comment:

  1. you do such an awesome job-- you are a natural teacher, my friend!

    ReplyDelete