Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Handprint Butterfly Project With Christian

I love this boy and I love this picture of this boy.  He is so funny. I love that he is so excited.  He doesn't really take much to make him happy.  Usually he loves to be in whatever room I am in. I asked him if he wanted to go play on the swing set yesterday and he said no, because Ava wasn't home yet.  I guess he is def. not a loner. :)  He likes to be around people. 
So instead of doing the preschool curriculum I did with Ava and him last year, I decided to check him on his letters to see where he was.  He surprised the living life out of me as he knew and recognized almost all of the upper and lower case letters.  He even knew that little "c" was for cat, and big "C" is for Christian.  I decided, since he had seemed to absorb more from last year, than I had expected, I would do a few new things with him, and just experiment. 

My first adventure of an object lesson, we decided to study butterflies.  We got construction paper and traced his hands numerous times.  I cut them out and then he glued them on the blue paper in the form of a butterfly. I helped with the placement but for the most part, he did this.  While we were working together, we talked about butterflies and how they start out and how they go from caterpillars to butterflies.  He was really interested. I then looked up a few you tube videos of  a Caterpillar turning into a butterfly and he was hooked.  We went to the library the other day and got a few books on the topic and he is constantly looking at them and talking to himself about how they turn into a chrysalis.  It was a fun craft and educational at the same time. :)
I plan to end this week with an object lesson about our transformation from sinners to God's children. 
The Butterfly is a universal symbol of change, resurrection, transformation, celebration, young love and the soul.  So, I plan to explain to him that the caterpillar represents our birth and when we are growing up as children.  Then the Chrysalis represents our death to this world and even dying to ourselves.  Finally I want to point out to him how the beautiful butterfly represents our transformation into new Christian's and children of God after we ask Christ into our hearts and transform into the beautiful creature God intended us and created us to be.  I need to figure out a way to explain it, but that is how I will end the lesson on butterflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment