Thursday, May 27, 2010

How We were Introduced to Little Man

So, I mentioned about how Christian entered this world and how events panned out in that area, but now I am going to tell you the roll our family played in these events.  We had been praying for God to show us if we were to start foster care.  We knew we were probably going to be having another baby in the future, but we had a 13 month old daughter at the time and we were not anywhere near ready to commit to a pregnancy and all that came with that.  We felt that God had been asking us to do foster care, so we signed up and got our clearances, started our training classes.  We really had no intentions of adopting, because we had heard so much about how hard it was to adopt, so we just figured they needed families to take the kids in until they were ready to be sent home.  Thus, we went on status as foster instead of foster - adopt.  There were a lot of couples going through training with us and quite a few of them wanted babies, so we just said, toddlers or sibling groups, but it didn't have to be babies. 

About two weeks before we finished classes, we got a call from our dear social worker. "Michelle, we have a small four week old baby, weighing about 4 lbs and he is currently in the hospital.  Would you  be able to take him for us for awhile.  He has other siblings in foster care, but he may be the one they get back, so it won't be a long stay. "  Of course we said, "YES!!"  She told me that we would be getting a call in the next two days and we would be going to pick him up.  I was so excited.  She also informed us that the two things that needed to regulate before he came home was his temperature, and his breathing.  He was having a hard time holding on to body heat. 

I called my mom and we started praying for this precious little guy in the hospital all by himself.  We prayed for him and intervened for him, asking God to show that baby love and comfort and to wrap his arms around that baby the way a mommy would hold him.  Little did we know, God was using one of his own angels to do just that.

The next day, I got another call telling me that they found him to be sick with pneumonia and they were not sure if he was going to make it, so we had to just pray for him and leave it in God's hands.  We were to sit and wait and they would call us with updates.  What a long week with little progress.  Very scary and I was amazed at how attached I felt to this boy that I had never met and yet, the pull was there.  The love of a mother and son already starting.

Finally, I got the call that it was time for me to come in and see him.  He was five weeks old and they wanted me to spend some time with him so he would get used to me and I would get used to him. I remember the deep down anticipation and excitement beyond control as I anxiously rode the elevator to the maternity ward, to meet the little guy that would later steal my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment