Sunday, May 30, 2010

Getting to Know Christian

Well, when the social worker and I reached the maternity floor, we were taken to a room.  They informed us that 'mom' was there and she wanted to meet Christian's potential foster mom. I was very nervous and felt bad for her since I couldn't imagine what it would be like to be looking into the eyes of the very person who was to be taking her son home instead of her.  How terrible. I remember his mom was very cordial and respectful to me.  In turn, I never asked to hold him or touch him during my first visit.  She changes his diapers and took care of him while we sort of visited and gushed over how cute and tiny he was.  I do remember his eyelashes and how they struck me with being so very long and beautiful.  Though his eyes were very big for his face, I knew that they were going to be my weak spot later on.  :)

When we had to say good bye, we left and on the way down the elevator, the social worker told me again, that if any of the six kids went home, it would most likely be him.  I knew this was part of foster care, so I tried to already prepare myself.

The next week, they asked me to go in and talk to him and visit him.  They wanted him to get used to me.  I went in around 9:00 at night and sat for a few hours each night to spend time with him.  His little cry and his little body melted my heart.  I knew he wasn't mine, so I had my distance a little, but I sang him the lullaby my mom wrote for him and I sang it many times.  Here are the special words that she felt God had given her for our little Christian, weeks before she ever met him:

Your our little precious boy
Sent from heaven above
Jesus brought you down to us
In his arms of love
Peace be to you
With a heart that's kind and true
Christian Jesus love you
And Nana does too

Jesus keep our little boy
Close to your heart
Safe and warm and healthy too
With a Godly heart
Angels from above
Watch over you with love
Christian let your light burn bright
So others see the light.

I sang this song to him over and over while I rocked him and held him, fed him, and loved him.  The funny thing was because he was on the nurses watch and they were so busy at the time, he slept a lot during the day shifts and then at night time, he would be wide awake, cause of the fluorescent lights, and that had to be when the nurses had more time with him.  His days and nights were definitely switched.  :) 

The other really great part that played in on this was that the first time I came to see him at the hospital, three of the nurses that met me all mentioned a woman named Cindy.  They all said how I would have to fight her to take him home.  The second time I went to see him, I walked around the corner to find him laying up over his Nanny's shoulder, with I.V. poll attached and in tow and she was working on her computer.  I started laughing because the lady holding him. . . his Nanny, was a lady I met while in college.  She was the one that had informed me many years before that she thought I was in love with Micah, the guy I married a year after that.  Now God had placed her in our lives again, and she was Christian's Nanny.  She jumped up and hugged me.  God really did have his hand in Christian's life the entire way. 

Finally, it was time to bring him home.  I was so very excited.  The night before we were allowed to take him home, we met his parents at the hospital and Micah and I asked if we could have prayer with them.  We prayed for God's will for this little guy and we handed the situation over to God.  We prayed for peace and wisdom for all us in the entire situation over the next however long.  Then we left, knowing we were coming back to get him the next morning, and allowing his parents one last night with him alone. 

Falling asleep that night was not easy, knowing I was bringing my baby boy home the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment