Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Literally Swimming Through Letter S Week

Well, it just so conveniently happened that Letter S week was the hottest week of the summer.  The Temps. were in the 90s to 100 all week.  So, of course, being the diligent mom I am, I had to SWIM everyday for S week.  Only because I had to though. :) 

Monday we started out with Swimming at my aunt and Uncles house.  We practiced swimming with our back packs on and then with them off.  Tuesday, we swam at Cowans Gap with My two sister in laws and their kids and then Wed. we went swimming at the Stoner's house with Cate and Abigail.  Thursday night we went to our neighbors across the street to swim and daddy got to go with us.  Finally on Saturday, Micah took the kids to Titus' house and they went swimming in his little pool.  I think, if you ask me, These two children of mine are pretty blessed to have had so many opportunities to go swimming on such a very hot week, and the fact that it was all in the name of Letter S week worked out great. ;)

This was swimming at the Stoners.



Swimming at Cowans Gap!!!  Fun times.  They went out in the "ocean" as Christian called it.  Ava called it he Ocean with little waves.  She told her Nana that something was wrong with the water since the waves were not working. :)


We practiced writing our letter S everyday and then we talked about the story of Sampson and we learned our verse.  The foods we ate were anything Sweet, S shaped  Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches, sweet corn, sponge bob snacks, spaghettios, sugar  cookies, and we even got a Super Sour liquid candy thingy from our friend Heather Stiffler.
Hahahah, this was a vain attempt to keep the kids occupied while we were sitting at the vehicle repair shop.  It worked pretty good along with a stack of books we took along to read.  :)

 I had colored sugar my mom had made for me for Ava's b-day party last year and we never got to use it.  So, I had the kids fill some baby food jars up with Sugar art, instead of the sand art.  They had a blast with this idea and it was little to no preparation for me, thanks to my mother who put so much time into it before hand.  The kid loved this activity though I had a hard time getting Christian to actually put the sugar in the jars once he realized it was sugar and not sand. :)  I had to cut him off at one point because I was sure he was consuming more spoonfuls than he was getting into his jar.  :)

Making our fun sugar art.  The kids loved this activity, of course.  Thanks Nana!!!

We wen to visit Heather and Olivia Stiffler on Friday for awhile.  We took them a sweet sugary surprise of brownie bites and then we took them a another sugary surprise.   Ava and Christian each gave Heather one of their sugar jars and they were so proud of them. :)  The other really fun part at Heathers was that Heather had some little girl clothes she was giving Ava and so we had a surprise fashion show and she tried and modeled all the clothes for us so we could watch her SHOW.  She kept making us laugh as she posed and smiled all different ways.


These are the Super Sour Surprises that Heather gave the kids. :)  Their faces were priceless when they first tried them.  Heather got a picture but I missed it. 


Another fun activity we did was we made a shoe collage.  I had a few kohl's magazines and other magazines so I told them to go through and cut out lots of different shoes.  Then we glued them all onto a piece of paper and made a pretty collage.  Ava really enjoyed this activity since she enjoys shoes period.

We also went to Grandma and Pappy's house on Thursday to Husk, Cook, Cut-off, and Freeze 500 ears of sweet corn.  This was quite the undertaking and we were very tired after this job.  We came home and took a little SLEEP.


The kids used some of the boards and strings we had to practice sewing for S week too.  This was a fun activity and it occupied them for quite awhile.  Ava wants to learn to sew like her Nana  and Grandma.



Over all, it was a super swell week.  I am glad it is over and now we are starting on the next letter but I have to say, with all the swimming it entailed, S week was my absolute favorite Letter of all. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment