Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Kindest Cut

Ava had really short hair as a young toddler and about a year ago, we decided to allow it to grow out.  It grew really fast and though she didn't let us comb it, it had become very pretty.  Ava has hair that is as straight as they come and she doesn't even have to use a straight iron.  She likes having long hair, but she HATES getting it combed or styled.  So many tears and so many fights, I finally decided that with her starting school in the fall, she needed to get her hair cut.  We did our research and found that Pantene Beautiful Lengths had a program that took pony tail donations of 8 inches or longer.  I measured her hair and she was right there. So, we talked to her about the hair being used for a wig and how after you donate hair, the website said you were known as an ANGEL.  This was big news to her.  She always wanted to be an angel, so off we went to get her hair cut.

Here are a few final pictures I snapped of her beautiful long hair. I miss it and so does her daddy but we told her when she can take care of it herself, we will let her have it long again.  :)  She doesn't miss it at all. :) 



So, we called Nana, read up on the donation directions and headed to the mall.  When we got there, the first place we walked up to had no wait, so they took us right away. 


She was so excited but I could see she was anxious too.  She did good though and I thought I was going to laugh when she was getting her hair combed out.  She didn't scream and fight out loud but her little spirit was not happy.  She looked at me like, "what is going on, how can you let this happen mom?"  I just smiled knowing she was able to use self control better when someone else besides myself was combing her hair.


There it is, my little Angels ponytail.  The cut was made, now to finish it up and style her hair. It was shorter than I had even prepared myself for but I loved it already. 


Headband in, hair cleaned off, and off to get some cotton candy ice cream and some real cotton candy.  This was a fun day.  Now for the shocking reactions. I think for days, after her hair was gone, every time daddy saw her, he asked her what happened to her hair.  She would roll her eyes and say, "daddy, you know!!!"
She did ask me if she was a real angel now!  :) 

The finished product . . .she was too busy to pose for many pics, so we had to snap this one quickly. :)  It has been way cooler for her this summer though and sooooooo easy.  She flips her head upside down in the morning, shakes it around and flips it back over.  It looks perfect and she is done with her hair.  She is sooo proud of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment