Friday, July 16, 2010

Old Friends, New Memories

My junior year of high school, a very special person entered into my life.  Her name was Hilde Taule and she came all the way from Norway.  We met pretty near the beginning of the school year and spent a lot of time together making memories and having heart to hearts.  Through her I also made some new friends and met some people I wouldn't have ever met had I not been in her life.  She was a foreign exchange student for a year and she stayed with the Draper family.  A few people we spent a lot of time with were the Pucketts, including James boy, and the Draper family.  Life was easier then, just time to sit around and enjoy life.  The day I said good bye to Hilde was a very sad day in my life.  We of course got busy with our lives, and lost contact, which we all know often happens when living so far from each other.  A few weeks ago I got wind that Hilde was back in the states and visiting the Draper House over the weekend.  She was bringing her husband, Anders and her two precious children Lars and Ylva.  I couldn't wait.  It had been 12 years and I wanted to catch up with this old dear friend.

Friday night we headed up to the Draper stomping ground.  I was nervous at first, wandering if I had changed, if they had changed and if all the others had changed. I have to say, Hilde and I both commented on how the 'Draper homestead' felt as though it was in a time capsule and was exactly the same as 12 years ago.  Pretty cool.  Still open to all and representing many memories had and more to come. 

So, when we arrived, they had food and a trampoline and a pool.  We had left our kids with my mom so we could visit easier and then told them we would bring the kids the next day.  Hilde and I got to catch up and visit without running after four toddlers.  People were in and out all night long and hugs and laughter and much reminiscing went on.

The next day we went to get the kids and headed over to the Draper's house once more.  Ava was so excited about meeting one of her mommy's friends' little girls.  She told Christian on the way over that Ylva was her friend, and not his. 

My favorite part was how the girls played together.  They couldn't understand each other's language at all, but we were amazed that they had so much fun playing together.  They jumped on the trampoline and Ylva was naked cause we had just gotten done swimming.  Ava had her suite on, and without them even communicating, Ylva and Ava started laughing as Ylva was helping Ava to yank off her suite.  Then they were jumping, naked, together on the trampoline.  It was hilarious.  They couldn't understand each other, but they grunted, laughed, and giggled and had a blast.  SO cute.

Here are a few pictures of some of our fun new memories. 
Anders, James, Micah, and Brother John

Hilde and Ylva sharing a popsicle, thanks to thoughtful James.

Christian, beside the big Great Dane dog . . . . Bruce.  He could have rode on his back.

One of the many moments on the Trampoline.  That was one word they understood each other say!!

Playing my little ponies on the Trampoline.  They seemed to do this with ease also.  Pretty cool actually.

Lars and Christian playing together.

Micah and Anders visiting. 

Hilde and I posing for a picture, while at the park with the kids.  They really did get along so well.  Christian and Ylva wanted in on the picture action.  :)

Great times!!! Saying goodbye wasn't easy but we decided we couldn't let it go 12 years again. 

1 comment:

  1. I just found these on line! Such wonderful days! We think of them often.
    Lots of love, Hilde

    ReplyDelete