Monday, March 7, 2011

My Puppy = No Boyfriend

Well, many years ago, I was not quite able to drive or date yet, but I sure wanted to.  I liked the idea of a guy coming and getting me and taking me out to dinner and a movie and then having me back for curfew.  However, there was something else i couldn't wait for either. I wanted a pet, I wanted a dog that was my very own.  I would dream of this little house dog that would love me even when my heart was broken from whatever teenager things and emotions I was dealing with.  I wanted this so badly that I had to figure out a strategy to get my father to say yes. 
I started by searching and finding the exact kind of dog I wanted.  It happened to be a Bichon Frise which is a little white fluffy soft dog.  They are typically hyper with lots of personality not seeing things the way I see them now, I thought I needed a dog that was independent and had his own personality.  I was so very set on this and it wasn't too hard to get my mom and little brother on board, but my dad was another story.  He kept saying no and I kept pleading my case.  The last thing I remember, because this is what actually seemed to win the idea over to my father, was when I said, "Daddy, If I had a dog, I wouldn't need a boyfriend anymore."  I am not sure he totally believe me, but he took the bait.  A few weeks later we had the dog of the liter picked out and he was so sweet.  We had to wait for him to become of a good age for me to bring him home. I am sad to say, while I consider myself a very honest person and a person who sticks by my word, I didn't in this case.  I had two weeks after we brought the rascal home.  Sorry Dad!!!  Before long, the dog that was not to sleep in our rooms, let alone in our beds, was sleeping on my pillow curled around my head.  When I came home broken hearted or upset or just anxious from the day, my sweet Rebel would lay beside me and lick my tears away, right off my face.  He was a great comforter and always happy to see me.  Rebel was a little more than we had bargained for but never the less, he was a huge part of our family.  I will say that when Micah asked my parents for my hand in marriage, he did have a stipulation that he didn't / wouldn't take the dog.  :(  Rebel was happy to stay with mom and dad though.
So, all this said, my daughter in her own sweet spirited self, has decided we need a dog.  I randomly have taken the kids to the pet shop to let them hold and play with the animals, especially the puppies.  This was always a thing they enjoyed and looked forward to the next time. 


So, the other day, my mom and I decided to take Ava, Reece, and Christian to see the dogs.  The first few dogs we played with were hyper and fun and chewed on everything from Reece and Ava's Hair to Christian's Shoe laces.  The kids had so much fun.  However, the boys lost interest long before Ava.  She has a heart for dogs and in the past, as we play with the animals, we pray for them to find good homes.  She remember this and reminded me.  Then she would bow her head and say sweet prayers for their owners to come and buy them.  The boys just loved the hyper dogs. 


This poor puppy didn't have a chance.  Christian wanted to hold it so badly but looks like he was hugging its butt. :)  So funny.  He was in aww at how little the puppies were.


Reece was excited too.  He was telling us all about why cats eat mice and dogs eat cats. :)



The last dog we had was a white mixed bichon frise and Maltese.  This little white fluffy dog climbed right up on her lap and kissed her cheek.  Then it just sat there and let her hold it for along time. The boys were running around and yet Ava and that little white puppy seemed oblivious to all that was going on around them. My mom and I fell for this little pup also.  It was so tiny and soft and it captured our hearts to see her holding that little baby puppy.  Something changed in her and she started saying how much she needed this dog and how much daddy would like this one because it was calm.  She was saying she would always sleep in her room every night forever, if she had this dog and how this would make her so happy.  She reminded me that I KNOW how much she wants a dog.  Finally, we pryed the poor puppy from Ava as the tears were soaking the puppy's fur and then we carried her to the car.  On the way home, I told her that her best bet was to tell her pappy sweetheart that she would NEVER need a BOYFRIEND if she had a puppy.  :)  I told her it worked once before so she could always try her luck. :)  Mom and I got a great kick out of this but Ava didn't seem to get the humor.

Seriously though, I do hope some day she softens her daddy's heart into letting her get a puppy to call her very own.  Lets hope that is a few years away though. :)

Ava loving holding her little baby puppy. Love at first sight for sure.  Above, Reece is trying to feed it a toy.  :)



3 comments:

  1. I hope Ava gets her puppy one day. Hubby thinks Liv needs a puppy for her birthday but I can't handle another "toddler" right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet! i can't believe the puppy just let her hold him! maybe grandma can get another puppy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this and love the pictures! How sweet that you take them to play with the animals! You are a brave Mama! :)Good luck, Ava!!

    ReplyDelete