Monday, January 17, 2011

Interesting I Week

I think the the vowels are the hardest letters to teach children to recognize.  The English language in general is difficult, but how do you explain the vowels and how sometimes I sounds like E.  For example, Iguana, which we studied and learned about as part of our week, starts with I but sounds as though it starts with E.  Grrr, so frustrating.  Oh, well, they seemed to enjoy the week anyway. 

In honor of I week, we sang "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and watched the movie Spirit because the name had two Is in it.  We read some books on Insects.  We also investigated and researched igloos and iguanas.  We made an igloo out of marshmallows and toothpicks and we even looked up a few you tube videos on how to make an igloo.  The kids did try this while out playing in the snow, but obviously, it didn't work because the snow wasn't packed the same way as in Alaska.

We practiced reciting our memory verse of Psalm 86:12.  We also ate LOTS of ice cream and ice pops.  This was by the kids request when Ava realized that Ice started with I. :)  We also practiced writing letter I and words with the letter I in them.

We worked on the "Important Information Sheet" that had Our names, numbers, and address.  This was a fun activity and it is so dear to hear them trying to recited their full names with phone number and address. 

It was a good week as per usual.

The igloo ended up being a very sticky mess, but the kids loved the activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment