Thursday, December 30, 2010

Is Jesus Really Real?

So, Ava is at the age where she poses the question, "Mommy is Santa Claus real?"  I wasn't sure what to say, so I asked her if she thought he was.  She said, "I don't know, but maybe.  What do you think?"  I couldn't lie to her and so I said, "well, I don't think he is real in the way the movies and stories say," then I went on to explain to her that the "spirit of giving" is real and there really was a St. Nicholas.  She seemed a bit sad but seemed to understand it. I explained that some people really do believe in Santa, like Christian, and that was fine.  It wasn't her job to tell other kids he wasn't real.  (I don't want her being the one responsible for bursting other kids bubbles.)  Anyway it took her a day to wrap her little wondering mind around this but she didn't seem upset, just thoughtful. 

Then came the question that floored me. . ."Mommy, . . .Is Jesus Really Real?"  Wow, it made me think.  I took a breath and then started to attempt to explain to her that he was very real and that he was the real reason for Christmas. I had explained all of this to her before, but I guess her innocence and naivety took me off guard.  What we tell them and what they see everyday is what they internalize. I took for granted that she just knew the things I knew. But, of course, she would have put Santa and Jesus on the same level because that is what we she sees.  I am not by any means saying it is wrong to allow your children to know about Santa, and I am not exactly sure what I am trying to say besides the simple fact that my eyes were opened and opened wide today.  I need to stop and really explain the important things to my children.  I need to stop assuming they just understand.  I try this, but sometimes I forget.  One of my new years resolutions is to spend more time explaining LIFE to my sweet children, while they are new sponges.  I hope this continues to remind me how open their minds are.  I end this blog entry with a prayer asking God to help me to instill the things he wants me to in my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment