Thursday, September 15, 2011

Ava's First Day of Kindergarten

Finally, I am ready to document about Ava's first day of Kindergarten.  I will confess, I was a bit weepy the night prior to her first day.  I helped her lay out the outfit she chose to wear, one her Nana had bought her while she was here over the summer.  Then we got her book bag ready for the morning.  We set the alarm and then put her to bed.  Mommy's night didn't end there, of course, so once she was sleeping, I snuck downstairs and pulled out her baby book. I read up on the things I documented through her first years, and looked over some pictures of our sweet baby girl who was little not so very long ago.  Finally, my Tylenol p.m. kicked in and I was able to get to sleep myself.

The next morning, August 29, 2011, came quickly.  She was excited and yet anxious.  She did well getting ready and was actually ready 40 minutes before the bus was to arrive.  We took time to get a small photo shoot, of course.  (come on now, we expect nothing less, right?) 


Daddy went into work late so he could see his baby get on that big school bus. I am glad he was along, I needed him and his support more than he will ever know.  I have to admit, we put on a happy face for Ava, but we didn't feel it, that is for sure.  We kept taking deep breathes and sighing as we would catch each other's eyes throughout the morning.  The thoughts that go through your head as you watch your children grow and take those big steps into another stage of life are quite scary and overwhelming. 


Christian chose his own outfit to wear while waiting for Ava's bus to come.  He was as excited as her.  Even though we had explained she was getting on the bus and not him, I am not sure he truly understood.  His daddy bought him a cute TRANSFORMERS Backpack and he was ready to go. :)

Grandma Bumbaugh came to watch Beanie get on the bus.  Pappy wanted to come but he was driving a bus of his own.  The closer the time came for the bus, the more quiet and nervous she got.  She kind of knelt down and started messing around with the stones and so we just let her go for awhile and didn't address how she was feeling as she was processing.  Daddy finally knelt down beside her and told her how Proud he was of her and how he knew she was nervous because she didn't know what it was going to be like, but we were praying and we KNEW she would like it. :)



Then came the big bus, the great big M12 bus, with Bus driver Donna (who we love). Ava ran to the door, with her backpack on and she looked back one time to say bye as she was running. She was so big and just walked right up onto the bus.  She sat on the first seat and waved out at us.  She was so sweet and so TINY on that HUGE BIG BAD BUS!!! YIKES.  Okay, a little dramatic, but I was feeling that way.  As she rode away, I of course started crying.  For the first time in six years, someone else was responsible for her and where she was and what she was doing.  Someone else would be comforting her or disciplining her.  Was she ready?  Had I taught her all she needed to know?  Did she know we were always here for her?  Micah was a huge support and called me numerous times throughout the day just to check in. I love that man.  Margaret assured us that we had done a good job and and that she was ready, but I have to say, as hard as this was, how will I ever let her date or drive?  Lord, help us all. 

I literally watched the clock the rest of the day, wishing, hoping and praying for my sweet little girl.  She was out of my hands now and I had to be okay with that.  However, it only meant me praying more often and harder than ever before for my Ava Bean and her day.  I prayed for strength, courage, compassion, wisdom, calm, peace, and much more.  Now all we had to do was wait until 4:00 and see what had happened.  It did remind me to thank the Lord for the parents He had given Micah and I that had lifted us in prayer all of our lives too. 

2 comments:

  1. she's not even my baby girl and i have tears! what a cherished document to have--- love you, girl!!
    -michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Chelle, it is sad. She is good though and I LOVE her teacher. :)

    ReplyDelete