Wednesday, April 29, 2015

First Love vs. Math Tutor

Well Danielley this is a shout out to you!  So, background story is that my son doesn't really like to do math.  I don't blame him because it is not my favorite past time either.  The other part of the story is that my main reason for homeschooling is to try and get him excited about learning again, period.  I wanted him to feel more confidence in his own abilities and to feel uplifted and smart.  I wanted him to WANT to learn again.   So, after a very frustrating year, math wise, I called out for help!  I called dear sweet Danielle Shadle, my little man's FIRST TRUE LOVE. ;) I asked if she would tutor him once a week to see what she thinks we can do to help him.  She was more than willing to see what she could do to help.

So, today was the first day.  I dropped him off and she told me to go and take an hour to shop or just run errand.  When I came back, he was all smiles.  He had obviously been made to feel VERY special!  He wanted to show me all he had done and he was so proud that he had finished his math.  As we were walking to the car, she mentioned maybe having a sleepover for fun sometime in the near future with him and Ava.  :)  Then we said our goodbyes and got in the car.

The entire ride home and throughout the rest of the evening I heard the following statements and some of them were repeated numerous times:

"mom, can we do that again sometime?!"          EXCITMENT
"mom, that was so fun!  I did ALL my work!       EXCITMENT - CONFIDENCE
"Wow, I did all my work before you got done and I was sooooo fast!"  CONFIDENCE - PRIDE
"Can you text daddy to tell him I did ALL my work?     PRIDE - SELFWORTH
"hey, can I take my work along to do when we have our sleepover?!"   EXCITMENT
"mom I got the answers right!!!!  Danielle helps me!  I can't believe it!"     PRIDE - SELFWORTH

The list goes on, but I think that in one session he felt all the things I have been praying for him to feel all year!  God knew what he was doing by putting that little lady in our lives and his life for sure!  :)  She has a way of making him feel special and loved and cared about!  I love that and appreciate that!  Thanks Danielley and Nate, I know you know this, but you are a blessed man! :)  She is blessed too.  Good thing you snatched her up and married her when you did cause he was ready to swoop in and make his move! ;) 

I hope that little man continues to grow in his hunger to learn and work on learning while enjoying what he is learning! Thank you Jesus for a new rejuvenation! Feeling so ready for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment