Thursday, August 25, 2011

Upstate Memories with Friends


We decided to take a few of our friends up to The Hunting Cabin for a weekend.  We have been talking about it for awhile, but it hadn't worked out.  This was the weekend and we finally made it work.  Matt and Courtney got babysitters so they rode with us and The Pedersen's followed.  We of course stopped to introduce them all to our favorite hot eating spot. . . SKEETERS BBQ.  Here we are all eating outside.  The picture above shows us on our lookout point at Skeeters.


Then we went on through to the cabin.  When we got there, the kids were soon in bed and we unpacked our stuff and started the famous "eating frenzie" while we played Rook into the wee hours of the morning.  Then we all retired for bed only to wake up a few hours later and have some coffee, breakfast and play more Rook.  :)  Then we headed to the Pine Creek that Micah's family used to take the kids to while they were up there.   Micah remembers going there when he was young and so we decided it would be fun to take our three munchkins to the creek and let them splash around.  Courtney, Matt and I hung out on the side of the creek but the others in our group were splashing around and having a blast.

Here Matt and Courtney are enjoying some peace and quiet.

My Beanie and her dad posing taking time to stop from hunting crayfish, in order to pose for a picture as per mommy's request.

Jess was awesome as she was working to get the minnows and tadpoles and all the other creatures so the three kiddos could have a full fledged science lesson.  She actually found a baby tadpole, then found a tadpole that was starting to lose its tail and had two legs, then she found another one that had four legs and a very shortened tail and then she found one that had was a full toad.  What a great teacher. All the while, she was having fun making fun of me for not wanting to get in the water where "scary slimy creatures swam."   I admit, I am a sissy.


While we were as far as the creek, we decided to head up to another famous look out spot on the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon.  I remember being there when Ava was a baby, we drove up there and got a picture taken with our family.

Saturday night, we had a campfire with s'mores.  The kids were excited to roast marshmallows for everyone and of course eat tons of chocolate.  We did see a snake that scooted right under the fire pit. I was done and ready to go in after that experience. In fact, I saw it, jumped up in a ball in my chair yelling at the kids to watch out.  They looked around, saw Jess roasting a marshmallow and ignored me.  Even though I knew I was looking quite stupid, I am deathly scared of snakes and still sat in my chair with my legs up beside me. 

The boys most famous moment was when they had a few cougars hit on them, while they were picking up our pizza and wings in town.  :)  We laughed about that one for quite awhile.  It was a great weekend and we think it should become a once monthly event.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Michelle! I am so glad you caught pics of Jess here..she was such a natural outdoor girl..

    ReplyDelete